[ale] Binary Matching

Mister Anonymous atlantalinuxenthusiast at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 10:24:33 EDT 2005

I need to do some binary matching across many files and was wanting to
get some recommendations on how to do it.  I would like to be able to
grab a section of binary data from one file (approximately 500
continuous bytes) and check and see if that is included in other
binary files.  Any recommendations on an easy way to extract the
initial 500 bytes (assume I would like to do it from some particular
offset in the file) and then search for that data in the other file?

I am afraid that perl might be the best way to do this, but I am not
that much of a perl hacker.  If there is an easy way to do it using
python or a shell script, that would be preferable.

Thanks.