[ale] Debian 3.0 as a server platform?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sun Jun 5 16:14:28 EDT 2005

James Sumners wrote:
> Am I crazy or is this thread not about "Debian 3.0 as a server
> platform"? I did mention in passing that I don't recommend Debian to
> average users but that was it.

You drifted from that subject with your Zaurus comment...

> I have installed all of the major distributions. By far, I prefer the
> Debian installer to any of them. I have never found the Debian install
> system to be all that difficult. I find it to be very straight forward
> and easy to follow. The first distribution I was ever able to install
> and use successfully was Debian 2.1 (slink) and it had a much more
> archaic installer than the current one. But, if I were to hand someone
> a CD to install Linux by themselves I would most likely hand them a
> SuSE 9.2 CD (9.3 can only be had on DVD; curious isn't it?) or, if I
> felt them competent enough, an Ubuntu CD.
>
> I apologize if I misread the email but it did seem very much like you
> were making a comparison.

It was simply a way for me to demonstrate how easy it is to install
SuSE.  There was no comparison of persons intended.

As you've noted, you prefer the Debian installer.  Based on my last
stint with Debian, I would not expect my daughter to be able to install
Debian.

--
Until later, Geoffrey