[ale] Debian 3.0 as a server platform?

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 3 18:38:41 EDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 12:36 -0500, ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> > > 5. One thing we can all agree on is that Debian has improved the Linux
> > > community tremendously . . .
> >
> > I agree wholeheartedly.
>
> That brings the whole discussion full circle.

I'll throw this into the mix (coming from a Debian advocate)....

Debian is a PITA to get started with.  Getting your hands on a good ISO
install image is easier than pulling teeth from a rhinoceros.  Go to
Debian Planet (www.debianplanet.org) and search for ISO... you will only
find articles from 2001 and 2002.  :-(   Go to cdimage.debian.org and
try your luck (make sure you read the comments about the debain servers
being hacked and the state of the ISOs there).

Once you do get your hands on a good Debian net install ISO, you will
find that you treat it like gold, given the difficulty you have in
locating a replacement. ;-)

Once you have Debian installed you have nothing to worry about, there
are plenty of mirrors that support updates, etc.

Just to be clear... I do love Debian.

-Jim P.