[ale] Debian 3.0 as a server platform?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Jun 3 07:43:15 EDT 2005

ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> On Thursday June 02 2005 22:10, Geoffrey wrote:
>
>>Thomas Holmquist wrote:
>>
>>>It seems in your argument(s), in order to "debunk" Debian, you brought
>>>in 3 Distros, RH, SuSE, and Slackware. Seems kinda weak don't you think?
>>
>>I'm not trying to debunk Debian.  Even the Debian developers acknowledge
>>that their release timing needs to change.
>

> I think LESS of Debian now - AFTER reading the "defense" for using it.

I don't know about that.

> 1. Platforms? Small footprint? Old Hardware? No change?
> None of that interests me . . . or anyone with a few dollars.
> I wonder what the cost analysis would show: Is it better to use Debian on old
> or obscure hardware, or simply change the hardware? (I don't know)

My point, and I've not done very well getting it across.  Caught up in
the heat of the moment I guess.  There is a place for Debian.  There are
users who are suited to Debian.  There is a huge number of architectures
supported.  Debian has a different philosophy then other distros.  It's
not a commercially built product.  All these things make Debian what it
is.  It's just not for me.  I like using the latest greatest stuff.  And
I don't have problems doing so.

I do think that Debian could be more productive by dropping some of the
more obscure architectures, but that's their decision, not mine.

> 2. The Dr. Jekyl, (stable) Mr. Hyde (unstable/testing) argument is weak.
> Seems like it would be better to roll your own distro and skip the psychotic
> mentality altogether. That way YOU determine the release date and YOU can
> test to see what is stable and what isn't and YOU can create a single "stable
> and secure" operating system. Starting with "Linux."

I don't know that it is psychotic.  Virtually all distros have their
stable releases (RH Enterprise, Mandrake) and their bleeding edge
versions (Fedora, Mandrake Cooker).  This is a good thing.

> 3. The Debian Defenders aren't turning the negatives into positives very well.
> Debian doesn't need "debunking" - it has it's fan club's defenses.

I agree, it does not need debunking.

> 4. I'm running a variant of a variant of a variant of a variant of Debian
> (with inspiration from other variants) and at this point, I kinda wish I had
> stuck with Gentoo (even though other users were intimidated by it).

I just don't have time for Gentoo.  I'd love to do an install, but I
just don't have the time (right now).  There definitely is a learning
curve with Gentoo.

> 5. One thing we can all agree on is that Debian has improved the Linux
> community tremendously . . .

I agree wholeheartedly.

--
Until later, Geoffrey