[ale] iptables limits?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri Jun 3 00:39:34 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 19:24 -0400, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 19:01 -0400, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 17:04 -0400, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> > > Are there any known limits to the number of rules in iptables?  I
> > > currently have about 27000+ rules, with no noticeable issues.  What's
> > > the upper limit, if there is any, and what are the limiting factors?
> >
> > 27000+ !!
> >
> > You need to get out more and see the big blue room :)
>
> Let me be a bit clearer... I use a 50+ line script to generate those
> rules.  No way that I am going to write 27000+ lines of 90% the same
> thing.  ;-)

I was just thinking that a nice addition to iptables would be the
ability to pull in an external file of address:ports to allow/block.
Something like:

iptables -I INPUT -s @fileofbadpeopleips -j DROP

and have it resolve that file into a single rule with multiple matches.
A big OR list of addresses.

Hmm. Time to write Rusty.

While I'm at it, I'll put in the request for a -name flag. Having rules
(some at least) named make modifying that one rule easier.
<run script to update bozo list from apache log>
iptables -D INPUT -name "bozo web list"
iptables -I INPUT -name "bozo web list" -s @bozoweblist -j DROP

Of course, I would also like to see a new target: -j FLOG
It sends the IP address to a userspace app that finds the lat/long of
the moron and sends in a small mob of drunken sailors with an attitude
problem...