[ale] Debian 3.0 as a server platform?

Thomas Holmquist fishy at fishynet.net
Thu Jun 2 21:22:56 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 20:41 -0400, Geoffrey wrote:
> Thomas Holmquist wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 23:06 -0500, ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> >
> >>For those "Debian Defenders" out there, it would be positive if they could
> >>point out features Debian has that CAN'T be found with other distros.
> >

> > Lemme list a few reasons I use Debian-stable on my servers:
> > 1.) Extremly stable - Nothing changes, nothing breaks.
>
> I can say the same for Red Hat and SuSE.

yes, but nothing has changed since 2002 - that means an ultra available
server that needs not go down for upgrades.

> > 2.) Works on all sorts of architectures/hardware. (Hell, my Zaurus PDA
> > runs Debian!)
>
> And what server processes are you running on your Zaurus?

Never said it was a server, but yes, it does run SSH, and has (in the
past) run thttpd, boa, apache, and a VNC server, hell it runs X, that's
a server ;)

> > 3.) Works great on old hardware.
>
> Slackware.
>
> > 4.) Has a small install footprint, It's using a whole 250 MB on one of
> > my computers. (this is from a normal debian install, on a production
> > box, I in no way tried to lighten up the install.)
>
> Slackware has it beat.  I've gotten it under a 100 mb (10.1).

whoops sorry I had a kernel in /usr/src... let's exclude that...
167mb including gcc, and perl

> > 5.) THE LARGEST software repository available for any distro.
>
> Can't argue with you there, but I've yet to find something I need that
> wasn't available on RH or SuSE.  After all, how many browsers does one
> really need.

well let's see... in my case... 6 browsers.