[ale] Debian 3.0 as a server platform?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Jun 2 20:51:44 EDT 2005

Thomas Holmquist wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 23:06 -0500, ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
>
>>For those "Debian Defenders" out there, it would be positive if they could
>>point out features Debian has that CAN'T be found with other distros.
>

> Lemme list a few reasons I use Debian-stable on my servers:
> 1.) Extremly stable - Nothing changes, nothing breaks.

I can say the same for Red Hat and SuSE.

> 2.) Works on all sorts of architectures/hardware. (Hell, my Zaurus PDA
> runs Debian!)

And what server processes are you running on your Zaurus?

> 3.) Works great on old hardware.

Slackware.

> 4.) Has a small install footprint, It's using a whole 250 MB on one of
> my computers. (this is from a normal debian install, on a production
> box, I in no way tried to lighten up the install.)

Slackware has it beat.  I've gotten it under a 100 mb (10.1).

> 5.) THE LARGEST software repository available for any distro.

Can't argue with you there, but I've yet to find something I need that
wasn't available on RH or SuSE.  After all, how many browsers does one
really need.

--
Until later, Geoffrey