[ale] Debian 3.0 as a server platform?

Thomas Holmquist fishy at fishynet.net
Thu Jun 2 18:58:24 EDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 23:06 -0500, ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> For those "Debian Defenders" out there, it would be positive if they could
> point out features Debian has that CAN'T be found with other distros.

Lemme list a few reasons I use Debian-stable on my servers:
1.) Extremly stable - Nothing changes, nothing breaks.
2.) Works on all sorts of architectures/hardware. (Hell, my Zaurus PDA
runs Debian!)
3.) Works great on old hardware.
4.) Has a small install footprint, It's using a whole 250 MB on one of
my computers. (this is from a normal debian install, on a production
box, I in no way tried to lighten up the install.)
5.) THE LARGEST software repository available for any distro.

Story time: I have two servers, one 40mhz, and one 60mhz: the 40mhz one
is a SPARC IPX, maxed out with 64MB of ram, this computer has a 260 day
uptime, and would have an even longer uptime were it not due to extended
power outages. currently the memory usage is at 29mb (with cache) and
has a load of 0.3. This computer is running 3 services identd, SSH, and
psybnc (yes, this computer acts as a IRC proxy). This computer is
running a 2.2 kernel.

Another example is my 60mhz mail server. Running Exim, Courier, and
DSPAM, it too has given me no problems for the past two years, and was
only recently rebooted for a hard drive upgrade.

	I don't believe I could do what I'm doing with Debian better in any
other distro.

Please excuse my ranting
-Thomas