[ale] OT: Using google search

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Wed Jun 1 11:48:35 EDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 11:34, Jim Popovitch wrote:

> >From Google:
>
> --------
> As you've noticed, Google doesn't recognize search terms containing
> periods, question marks, the @ sign, and other such characters. These
> characters are so common that including them in a search would greatly
> slow the delivery of the search results. Additionally, the use of
> punctuation on the web is so inconsistent (for example, there's no
> obvious way to decide between Mr. and Mr) that including it in the query
> often does more harm than good to the relevance of your search results.
>
> While we don't currently offer a way to force Google to recognize all
> special characters, we understand that many useful search terms do
> contain such characters. We've generated exceptions for terms like C++
> and $10, and we're studying ways to enable search terms like C/net.

That sums it up.  They ought ought to have on the advance search page a
option to run on this feature.

Speaking of searches I wish there was a way to setup my default profile
on eBay to only give me items located in the US.  Everytime I do a
search I get too many results outside the US.  I can go in the advance
page and click an option but I wish I could make that option default for
my profile.