[ale] OpenOffice odd printing?

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 15:02:53 EDT 2005

On 7/28/05, Geoffrey <esoteric at 3times25.net> wrote:
> Robert L. Harris wrote:
> >
> > When I open a .doc file given to me by a "Word" user the pages always
> > seem about 2 inches longer which screws up pages requiring signatures,
> > etc because the signature line comes out on the next printed page.  The
> > same document works fine in M$ Word.
> >
> > Anyone run into this and know what may be causing it?  I don't think
> > it's my printing sub-system because I'm seeing the same behavior in the
> > actual display OO gives in the print preview.
>
> Sounds like there's a hard break inserted.  Try removing it by
> backspacing from the top of the section that is on the 2nd page.
>
> Or possibly, it's setting the page length incorrectly?  Check the page
> settings.

Sounds like that to me.  On sond distributions OOO defaults to A4
which is the European standard.  Be sure you are using US Letter.

[OT:  The European page sizes are really cool.  They are all similar
to each other--if you cut and A4 in half (the short way) you get two
A5s.  If you join to A4s (the long way) you get an A3.  So reams of
different sizes can be stacked together.  I think that's quite clever
and logical.]

Michael