[ale] Flat file post-processing - drop records based on text

brucelists at bellsouth.net brucelists at bellsouth.net
Fri Jul 29 10:32:07 EDT 2005

And this was a particularly large file. It has 95th percentile utilization inbound and outbound for every serial port and frame-relay PVC for a network of some 9000 devices (routers and switches). Dropping the switches, we're still looking at a bare minimum of 1500 routers (and about the same number of WAN ports, hidden inside a tremendously huge number of RS232 and SLIP dial-up ports, and hundreds of virtual DECNet tunnels and other virtual circuits).

Maybe fdisk is the way to go! (that reminds me, I need to do backups).

I guess bringing that back on some semi-topic - I can't imagine doing that in MRTG. I wonder what open source tools do network utilization and have a simple top 10 / top 50, bottom 10 / bottom 50 search? Since MRTG uses rrdtool, I bet there would be a way to pull the highest utilized, lowest utilized or to set thresholds. I'd bet a fella could consult if he (or she) had a tool like that that cost less than the commercial versions. (shhhh, I didn't say that)