[ale] MP3's over the modem

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Jul 28 22:57:36 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-28 at 22:35 -0400, Pete Hardie wrote:
> On 7/28/05, Christopher Fowler <cfowler at outpostsentinel.com> wrote:
> > Is there a modem that works under Linux that will allow me to dial a
> > number and place a simple recording to the person at the other end?
>
> I was looking for something similar, and I recall that there are voice
> modems that will do this, but not MP3 format - some other modem audio
> format.  Check the Linux answering machine projects - I forget the
> project name, but it would play audio out like an answering machine
> message.

VOCP has a lot of info about Linux-based voice mail.

This can't be too hard. Every politician has these auto calling playback
devices. It seems like all that _should_ be needed is the proper
sampling rate for telephone systems and the ability to inject the sound
into the modem. But it will still take a voice modem to have the
hardware that will convert a sound file output to telephone line
voltages. There are several vendors on eBay that carry PCI slot US
Robotics voice modems that work just fine under Linux. Mine was about
$40 a few years ago.

http://www.localnetsolutions.com

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>