[ale] udev doesn't create device (no sound)

Jim Philips jimmyc at speedfactory.net
Tue Jul 26 15:28:36 EDT 2005

I'm running Slackware current with KDE 3.4.1. I can't start artsd, because
when I try, I get this error:

Error while initializing the sound driver:
device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such file or directory)

The rules for udev appear to have a rule for creating the device here:

KERNEL="dsp",                   NAME="sound/%k", SYMLINK="%k", GROUP="audio",
MODE="0662"

But nothing id getting created at all, so I have no sound devices and
therefore no sound. Is there any help on dealing with this? I googled all
over the place and came up with a hodgepodge of answers that don't relate to
ny system at all.