[ale] OT "Homework" was Networking question

Preston Boyington PBoyington at polyengineering.com
Mon Jul 25 11:09:09 EDT 2005

From: "James P. Kinney III"
>Get him to install an old PC into that muscle car to take data from
ignition system and speedometer. Then add some vacuum guages and collect
that data. Now plot correlations between fuel consumption and engine
speed and vacuum and equate it to cost per mile of fuel at various
speeds.

I know some 76-77 Chevy Malibu's (and most likely others) came with a gauge that read the vaccum pressure and would indicate "Economy" or "Performance" depending on how hard you pressed the pedal and at what speed you were going.  I think we used MORE gas playing with the gauge than if it had not been there.

On 7/23/05, brucelists at bellsouth.net <brucelists at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Ha! That sounds like fun. In college one of my friends had a very low mile '64 Chrysler New Yorker with 413 V8, 4 barrel carb and dual exhaust. I don't think we'd need any fancy computers to figure out mileage. When he put the accelerator pedal to the floor, you could visibly watch the gas gauge go down (premium fuel only). The speedometer needle quicly went up, the fuel needle went down almost as fast.

Well since this is "OT"

When I was 16 I had a .30 over 400 sb chevy in my 1973 swb truck.  It would use 1/8th a tank of gas from dead stop to second gear (1-2 shift), and ANOTHER 1/8th tank from second to third (2-3 shift).  One particular Saturday night my friends and I went through 12 tanks of gas ($0.85/gal) and a set of rear tires in about 5 hours (I was fortunate enough to have a local drag strip).  If driven "correctly" it would get about 16 mpg.

Now I have a .60 over 350 Vortec (balanced, ported, etc) that dynos 450hp+.  I average 18mpg city and 23mpg hiway (running the air conditioning).  I don't think that is bad for an old carburated "work truck".

As a side note (and an attempt to be somewhat "on topic"), my truck also has a "jukebox" that is running Debian "Woody" on an fanless 300mhz box that I syncronize (and update) over my Wi-Fi connection in my garage.  Since the truck sometimes stays parked for a month at the time, I use a solar panel to trickle charges the battery so everything stays charged and ready to use.

Preston