[ale] PIIIrumination (was PIIIotherboards)

fostermail at bellsouth.net fostermail at bellsouth.net
Mon Jul 25 01:26:52 EDT 2005

The board I xferred my PIII-500 chips onto, (replacing PII-350) recognized both and assumed their speed (though not PIII-ness,) did not seem to have the bios  for a 58xxx cylinder drive; (maybe contradicted by grub, but not the part'n table being picked up on it.) The drive was MBR'd by SuSE on a Dell new-370pga board-controller (w/intel.) This gross-out (dual slot-1)board w/ socketed bios (I don't know if they can be updated with update boot-floppies, etc,) is thus still intended for my ex-partner regional planner who snagged a tech suppt mgr job I dreamed about during the boom, and when I moved here, (who is on the penguin trail.)
I was constrained by the PIII cpu's themselves to PC100 RAM. I also dicked with a 440gx board consigned to PC100 ram which clinches PII + PIII xeons of any speed and cache size to 550MHz and 512K, which defeats the purpose of xeon cache and [applied] quad-cpu speeds, especially for non-case modders.
More pointedly, I would bitch about old Celerons which, though hooked up to 128K L2 cache will, despite  being, say, 766MHz fast (hot,) only talk as if to PC66 RAM.  I think this is the case for slot 1 Celerons; you can verify by reading the three numbers in the authentic silkscreened label.
Or doing the search with the part or stupping number. :( (emote icon for results w/ other component part numbers.)
Blah/Glenn
I  think I'll dunk the whole kit into my Tupperware cheese-doodle bowl, pour HCL in, and skim it down at the kayak landing. Or maybe find a cool spot and cut all the trees out for condos.