[ale] OT "Homework" was Networking question

Trey Sizemore trey at fastmail.fm
Sat Jul 23 10:35:47 EDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-23 at 01:44 -0400, William Bagwell wrote:
> On Saturday 23 July 2005 12:23 am, James Sumners wrote:
> > He is probably having to figure it out for homework.
>
> I was tempted *so* many times. Know better though, used to lurk in the
> usenet group for Tolkien. (back when the movies were still in the planning
> stages) Those folks were positively evil when some poor kid posted an
> obvious homework question.
>
> Trying to stay awake, I'm shifting from days to nights this weekend. I am
> amongst the employed once again! Plastics not computers, but the pay is so
> much better than entry level.
>
> Off to bug some one else....

HA!  Actually, not homework at all.  Well, not homework in the sense
it's for a school, more just my *own* homework ;-)

Doing some study for certifications (Network+) and this has always
troubled me.  I passed my LPIC I, but I'm sure I bombed the questions
around subnets and it's bothered me for a while now.  Definitely
something I need to know.  THe question I started with above came from
an online tutorial.  They spoke of the situation with 2 subnets, but not
six, so I was trying to work it out for myself.

The above response has helped me somewhat, but just need to sit down and
go over once more with my calculator and work with the binary forms as
well.

Thanks again
--
Cheers,
Trey

No lake so still but that it has its wave;
No circle so perfect but that it has a blur.
I would change things for you if I could;
As I can't, you must take them as they are.
-Han fei Tzu

10:24am up 1 day 1:11, 4 users, load average: 0.18, 0.45, 0.48
Linux salamander 2.6.11.4-21.7-default #1 Thu Jun 2 14:23:14 UTC 2005
i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux