[ale] [Somewhat OT] Troubleshooting help request w/ external tape drive

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Jul 21 10:46:47 EDT 2005

Chris,

There's no need to do further testing. The r/w head is trashed. The
rewind noises during write is the "shoeshining" as the system backs up
to try writing again what it missed. The clean light comes on to say it
can't read the tape well enough. If cleaning with a fresh cleaner tape
fails, the drive needs to be serviced. Since it was dumped on ebay, the
servicing costs more than a replacement.

It's a door stop.