[ale] [Somewhat OT] Troubleshooting help request w/ external tape drive

Christopher Woodfield rekoil at semihuman.com
Thu Jul 21 10:42:08 EDT 2005

Hello,

I bought an external DDS4 tape drive off of eBay last week, which I
plan to use with my Mac desktop machine and Retrospect 6.0 backup
software. Right off the bat, things aren't working correctly - the
tape drive's "Clean" LED comes on after only a few hours of use, the
drive makes some odd wind/rewind noises during the write phase, and
I'm unable to successfully restore anything that gets written to
tape. Retrospect's "verify" run hangs, as if it's trying over and
over again to read data and failing.

The drive is a Seagate STD6401LW drive, with a 68-pin Ultra2 SCSI
external interface.

What I'd like to be able to do is use the drive with a different
system, to verify that the problem is the drive, and not any of the
other components (cable, terminator, SCSI adapter, software, etc). I
have a PC available that I can put either Windows or Linux onto for
this purpose, but I can't justify buying another SCSI adapter, cable,
and terminator just for one test.

Does anyone have a spare SCSI adapter, cable and terminator that I
could borrow for this test? I'm in Midtown, but can certainly venture
OTP to pick up.

Thanks in advance,

-Chris Woodfield