[ale] Box freezing during boot sequence

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jul 18 14:00:14 EDT 2005

On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 01:10:35PM -0400, Ryan Fish wrote:
> After a recent power loss my RH7.3 box will no longer get past mounting SMB
> filesystems in the boot sequence.  I figure this could be bypassed by
> commenting out the fstab entries but I need a way to get to them in order to
> do that.  Would a disk-based OS such as Knoppix allow me to do this?  If so,
> what do I need to download and where can I find it?

You should be able to fix this by booting into single user mode.  Just
add "single" without quotes to the boot line in lilo or grub.  Single
user mode won't start networking or try to mount remote filesystems, and
will simply drop you to a shell.  Edit the /etc/fstab, then type "exit"
to continue the startup to multiuser mode.

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9