[ale] OT: Looking for some help with "locked" IBM Travelstar 30 Gig Laptop Hard Drive

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Sun Jul 17 14:12:08 EDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-07-17 at 14:02 -0400, John Wells wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-07-17 at 12:38 -0400, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> > 	I haven't scanned it or checked for backdoors.  Use with due caution...

> I'm curious...what tools do you use to accomplish the above?

	I have access to a wide spectrum of AV products plus I would try
running it and monitoring it in a VMware sandbox and check for unusual
activity.  If I were really suspicious (since it's a .exe) I would
probably run the "WOLF" (Windows On-Line Forensics) tool-kit after
running it.  I may yet run it through the gauntlet, I just don't have an
immediate need for it.

> Thanks,
> John

	Mike