[ale] OT: Looking for some help with "locked" IBM Travelstar 30 Gig Laptop Hard Drive

Van Loggins vanloggins at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 21:03:41 EDT 2005

I got this off ebay for as a replacement drive for my Apple Powerbook G4
500 MHz Titanium laptop that I am rebuilding.

To make a very long story short, This drive came out of an IBM Thinkpad
that seller was parting out for parts on ebay. The seller didn't know
that the drive had a password set on it while it was installed in the
IBM laptop. No one knows what the password was set to so the drive is
for all practical extents and purposes useless unless someone here can
help me out with a procedure to erase the service cylinder on the drive
which is where the password is stored according to all the info on the
subject that I have found using the google search engine. I have found
several services that offer a drive unlock service for this type of
situation but all of them cost more than I can buy another laptop drive for.

I thought using DD to erase the drive might do the trick but I was
wrong. Basically by having this lock in place on the drive it doesn't
allow you to make changes to the MFT table so you can't create a new
partition on the drive. Someone removed the partition on the drive
without clearing the password.

Any ideas anyone? I'm currently using a 20 gig drive in my Powerbook,
but it originally came with a 30 gig ibm travelstar drive so I would
kind of like to put it back to the original specifications.

Thanks in advance.

Van

Van Loggins        vanloggins at gmail.com
		   HOME # 706-864-6739