[ale] ALE FTP Server

Dow Hurst Dow.Hurst at mindspring.com
Sat Jul 16 09:29:44 EDT 2005

I've been using the ale server for my 9.3 updates and it is always the
fastest of the suse defined US servers.  I just used it today and
yesterday for patches.  Actually, only the first update has real size to
it, and those are still delta rpms.  Suse switched to delta rpms in 9.x
series to save bandwidth.  I haven't setup a local source mirror for
patching but it is possible to do that by having one server pull the
patches and save them.  Then, you'd point your other local machines to
that machines repository of patches with ftp, nfs, or http, take your
pick.  So only during the month or so after a new version comes out will
the load be extra heavy.  I've not noticed any slowdown from ale.org at
all, even for remote installs in the last month.

I appreciate the ale server being available like this.  In the past
there were only a few erratic US servers and the only truly reliable one
was the suse.de server.  It was always overloaded and very slow.  Now US
installs default to only US servers and there are several around the
country that are reliable.  Just my thanks and two cents on the issue,
Dow