[ale] IPCop 1.4.6 (ByPassing the firewall)

brucelists at bellsouth.net brucelists at bellsouth.net
Sat Jul 9 10:48:50 EDT 2005

Okay, I put the firewall / filter up - and for home use am fairly happy. But I started thinkng of how you can bypass the proxy. One way would be to open a session to the firewall via https, guess the userid and start trying various passwords. Then reconfigure and go.

I think a second way to bypass it, would be to move a PC from the firewalled segment on to the open segment. I do not have DHCP turned on on my router, but a clever person with networking 101 could try various IP addresses and subnets and get it right fairly quickly. So I would need to block port 80 from everything but my proxy to prevent that. Someone halfway familiar with the type of router I use could get the password fairly quickly - so I need to change that (and document it).

A third way would be to simply go dial-up. No LAN, no proxy, no firewall.

I guess for home users, you just keep an eye out, and if you have those problems, you have more than a simple problem of ocasionally clicking the wrong link. In a business environment you would have different issues as well. Have you guys found people bypassing proxies? Any ways to keep that in hand?