[ale] Two-part Bit Torrent Client?

vf5 at plm.gatech.edu vf5 at plm.gatech.edu
Tue Jul 5 20:46:07 EDT 2005

> It seem to me there is a humongous difference between opening a port in my
> firewall that allows new connections to be established to a machine inside
> the firewall, and me being able to connect to a machine outside  the firewall
> that's going to NAT my connection anyway.  Specifically, I'm thinking about
> security.

I'm not sure I see what the proxy would offer you as far as security.

The proxy would be establishing a mapping to that client
machine. Remote machines see a pipe is established whether it's via
a proxy or port-forwarding. Unless there is some additional protocol
checking on the traffic. Could even be some new issues opened up with
security in the proxy code.

If you are planning to leech, well then just run BT and don't
open up the holes and you should have fewer worries.