[ale] Two-part Bit Torrent Client?

vf5 at plm.gatech.edu vf5 at plm.gatech.edu
Tue Jul 5 15:41:28 EDT 2005

I have a crude homegrown solution specifically to avoid multiple
BitTorrent clients in my house. I have room-mates and rather than
wrestle with setting QoS limits on each host and similar......

There was already a house PC setup for file-shares anyhow.
I loaded Azureus BT client on it, and showed the roomies how
to VNC into this machine. Then punched the forwards for that
PC only, and set client bandwidth limits for up/down.

Now when we feel a need for Fedora 4 or whatever it's only
been downloaded once, at a speed that doesn't swamp the
connection, and is available to the house from the share.

I'll admit a proxy for this would be a nice idea, if only
so we could have a single point to put a bottleneck on this
protocol and make it play nice with our networks. But there
would have to be cooperation on the client-developers side
that so far doesn't seem to exist. At least Azureus has made
some small step forward by tying inbound down to a single port
instead of a range. Please support them with a few buck!