[ale] OpenSource NMS Recommendations?

Jay Loden jloden at toughguy.net
Mon Jul 4 17:55:42 EDT 2005

Well, I'm not terribly familiar with Open Source NMS stuff, but I work for
Fidelia Techology - we make Helix and NetVigil, network monitoring software.
Helix is our smaller software, which is probably more in the range you're
describing. http://fidelia.com/products

Our software does autodiscovery of your network topology, automatically sets
up tests and default thresholds, etc. Basically you install it and you're up
and running in an hour or two. you'll have up/down status reports, as well as
stuff like disk usage, CPU, etc - whatever is monitorable by SNMP or WMI. Our
software also does historical data and fancy graphs, etc.

That being said, I've also used Nagios, previous to being hired by Fidelia -
as a matter of fact, I posted to ALE when I was setting it up looking for
some help with it. Nagios was capable of decent options, but the
configuration files were really rough to wade through. The documentation was
lacking, so setting it up and making it work was pretty difficult, at least
for me at my level of experience. It was capable, however, and had options
for dependencies, service monitoring, and so on, and of course it's free
software.

If it's in your budget and you don't mind close source software, I'd
definitely recommend one of our products, if only because the amount of time
you save with the auto-discovery of devices and not needing to go through
config files to create hosts and service tests.

If you only have a really small number of devices, (I think you mentioned 5
routers and a switch?) it might actually be easier/quicker to write your own
set of scripts than to try and set up Nagios. There's a LOT of options and
config files for Nagios, and it took me as long to set it up to monitor a
dozen or so servers as it probably would have to write a set of scripts to
serve the purpose.

-Jay