[ale] Using Gmail with Opera; AJAX

aaron aaron at pd.org
Mon Jul 4 16:43:48 EDT 2005

[ I know, I know... Opera isn't open source...
...but Opera does provide free to use, freely distributable version packages
for a variety of Linux distros, in addition to being impressively compact
code with support for a lot of PDA devices, so: ]

I just updated to Opera 8.01 on my various Linux and Mac OSeX boxes and wanted
to report that this latest version is now playing _very_ nicely with Gmail!

Previous Opera versions were having problems addressing facets of the XML and
JavaScript techniques that the newest Google services like Gmail and
Maps.Google.com are employing.

I learned at a recent AJUG meeting that the web technologies in question have
been available on most browsers for quite a while, but the coding techniques
were only very recently defined and named under the internet buzzword of
"AJAX", the acronym for Asynchronous Javascript And XML .

If you have played at all with the Maps.Google interface, you know that  these
AJAX techniques provide really fast user feedback by removing the need to
post, send and redraw entire HTML pages. From a Geek perspective, this is
cool stuff, but its not all _that_ cryptic or hard to employ.

Embellishing on <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AJAX>:

==
AJAX, or Asynchronous JavaScript and XML, is a term describing a web
development technique for creating interactive web applications using a
combination of HTML (or XHTML) and Cascading Style Sheets for presenting
information. The Document Object Model is manipulated through JavaScript to
dynamically display and interact with the information presented. Like DHTML
or LAMP, AJAX is not a technology in itself, but a term that refers to the
use of a group of technologies together.

The techniques rely primarily on the XMLHttpRequest object ( oddly, a
non-standard function introduced in early Micro$haft Internet Exploiter
versions) to interchange and manipulate data asynchronously with the web
server. The techniques most commonly use XML and XSLT, although AJAX
applications can use other technologies, including preformatted HTML, plain
text, JSON and JSON-RPC as alternatives to XML/XSLT.

AJAX applications use web browsers that support the above technologies as a
platform to run on. Browsers that support these technologies include Mozilla,
Firefox, Internet Exploiter, Opera, Konqueror and Safari.  [ with the
exception that  Opera versions prior to 8.01 did not support XSL formatting
objects, and neither did it natively support XSLT transformations.
<http://www.opera.com/docs/specs/> ].
==

If there's substantial interest in this and y'all feel its appropriate to the
ALE venue, I might be able to arrange a presentation on AJAX for an upcoming
ALE Central meeting.  (At the very least, I could play back my recording of
the AJUG presentation.) Please send thoughts and responses to this idea
privately <aaron at pd.org> and I'll proceed accordingly.

peace
aaron