[ale] Low Cost Linux Hosting recs for a non-profit ( solved, thanks! )

aaron aaron at pd.org
Mon Jul 4 14:50:10 EDT 2005

Much thanks (-: to all y'all :-) for the suggestions and help on this.

Jim Kinney contacted me off list and has generously donated
Linux web hosting space for the group that my daughter is
supporting as webmaster, the World Gathering of Young Friends.

Not much exciting to see there, but the site is now up and running at
<http://wgyfnorthamerica.org>

peace
aaron

On Friday 01 July 2005 02:45, aaron wrote:
> [snip]
> My daughter has volunteered to assume the web master duties for a non-profit
> group that she helps lead.  As part of the process, they're looking to
> relocate their hosting and are looking for something cheap or, if at all
> possible, free.
>
> Site volume will definitely be modest and she isn't anticipating any special
> environment, CGI or content management needs, at least not beyond a strong
> preference for Linux servers and the possibility of including a Wiki down
> the road a bit.
>
> All suggestions welcome.
>
> peace
> aaron

========
Totally OT, but "Friendly" related P.S.:

The wgyfnothamerica site is an information resource for a global meeting of
young adults from the Religious Society of Friends (the Quakers) that will be
taking place near London in mid August.  In addition to volunteering as the
group's webmaster, my daughter has been elected to travel to the U.K. and
attend the event as a member of the U.S. delegation (-: but its not like I'm
jealous or anything :-).

Because I don't profess to be a Quaker, I can also add the personal
observation that, as organized religious institutions go, I find the Quakers
to be a very rare and respectable exception to the usual practices of
oppressively enforced dogmatic superstition. Their philosophies of individual
enlightenment, personal integrity, honesty, equality, consensus in leadership
decisions and uncompromising pacifism may make them the only organized
religious group on the planet that is actually deserving of the title
"Christian" (...a title which they, of course, are far too modestly christian
to claim outright).

To see the humanitarian social conscience of Quakerism in action,
you can visit:    <http://afsc.org/>

For a brief, third party overview of Quaker history and philosophy,
this document seems fairly complete and concise:
 <http://religiousmovements.lib.virginia.edu/nrms/quak.html>
========