[ale] Two-part Bit Torrent Client?

David Corbin dcorbin at machturtle.com
Sun Jul 3 09:00:49 EDT 2005

I'm only looking at bit torrent for the first time, so perhaps I'm way out of
bounds.  It seems to me there would be some value in having a two part client
for those of us behind a NAT.  Specifically, I'm thinking that there could be
a server component on, or just outside the NATter.  It would be the true
client of the bit torrent protocol, and would be a daemon.  Then, people
inside the NAT could run clients that would talk to this server component.

I believe, this would avoid the need to punch a whole in my firewall to get
maximal throughput and follow good netiquette.  One could even make the
server component "stay connected" longer than the actual user, if necessary
to fulfill "good behavior".

Is there such a thing?  Is this reasonable?

David