[ale] persistent mount points on removable devices

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jan 31 16:08:20 EST 2005

On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 02:50:33PM -0500, Jay Loden wrote:
> Do you know what the status us with udev?  I was having sound problems
> previously that were apaparently related to udev not being properly supported
> under the 2.6.7 kernel I was running.
>
> I don't know that I want to install udev, I'm kind of concerned it will hose
> something else, and I'll have to go around cleaning up broken parts of my
> system afterward.

http://kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev_vs_devfs
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev-FAQ

Both of those articles are written by Greg Kroah-Hartman, the guy that
wrote most, if not all, of the linux USB subsystem.  The fact that he's
advocating udev would tend to suggest giving it serious consideration.

If you're currently using devfs, you'll probably eventually make the
switch to udev anyway, since devfs has been deprecated in favor of udev.

You could probably roll your own hotplug scripts to manage symlinks for
you whenever you install/remove a device, but I think udev will make
this easier.

HTH,
Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9