[ale] OT Speedfactory Problems Anyone?

Greg runman at speedfactory.net
Fri Jan 28 06:06:16 EST 2005

I have 1 static IP with Speedfactory and when I upgraded my service to
something faster (for free) I had to go to PPPoE.  I was told that
*everyone* (other ISP's included) was being forced to do this since Bell
South was giving discounts on greater bandwidth to those who went to PPPoE
and Speedfactory had to go along to be competitive.  If you upgrade to the
faster speeds (for free for me and others who got grandfathered in) then you
can only do this on PPPoE.  They said it was "the wave of the future" for
all ISPs.  Yes, I know.  I cringed when this happened.  The tech I spoke to
said it was "better" for them (I'm guessing he owned Bell South stock or is
an idiot) and was very reliable and "easier to manage" for "them".

I don't know - I'm not a Sys Admin at that level but my research on those
who are at that level seemed to be that the majority of Sys Admins thought
PPPoE was crap compared to the old way of Speedfactory's doing things.
Other than a much weirder & more involved configuration on my firewall(s)
and DSL modem I haven't noticed any difference.  But I still feel that the
old way was better.  Just my opinion.

Once again Bell South to the rescue.  I think Geoffrey is correct in his
opinion of Bell South.

Greg