[ale] Getting Linux OS to boot

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Jan 27 13:48:44 EST 2005

Trey Sizemore wrote:
> Geoffrey wrote:

>> What does the grub config file look like?  You might try running
>> grub-install.
>>

> Well, I've not got it where I can boot to Mandrake (rescue mode allowed
> me to install grub on the slave drive's MBR).  So now the trick will be
> to add the other distros to Mandrake's grub.conf file...haven't done
> that in quite a while.  I'm sure with a little digging I can remember
> the format.

It's pretty straight forward, just keep the number correct.  The actual
references to the filesystems (/dev/hda1) will be the same, but remember:

root (hd0,7)  is /dev/hda8
root (hd1,1)  is /dev/hdb2

Make sure you get the kernel names right as some use variations.  Also,
some use different references to the initrd image:

SuSE:		initrd (hd0,1)/boot/initrd
Mandrake:	initrd (hd0,1)/boot/initrd.img

--
Until later, Geoffrey