[ale] OT: Scrum and Extended Development

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Thu Jan 27 13:41:27 EST 2005

All,

I know there's a few Scrum guys on the list.  I've been researching Scrum
for possible implementation in our organization, but have read (and
sensed, to a certain extent), that Scrum is better suited for new product
development ("Both Scrum and Sashimi are suited best to new product
development rather than extended development" --
http://www.controlchaos.com/about/how.php).

My company works on a large ERP system.  It's core functionality is there
and we mainly do bug fixes and enhancements.  We are in the midst of a
conversion from Progress 4GL to Java, so the app is changing, but it's
still 80% functionally complete (at least).

So...my question: is anyone actually using Scrum in an extended
development environment?  If not, what agile alternatives might you
suggest?

Thanks!

John