[ale] Getting Linux OS to boot

Trey Sizemore trey at fastmail.fm
Thu Jan 27 12:36:51 EST 2005

I have 2 IDE drives laid out as follows:

1 (master) - 80GB with FreeBSD occupying entire drive
2 (slave) - 80GB with 4 linux distros
    hdb1- Fedora Core 3 /
    hdb2 - Fedora Core 3 /home
    hdb3 - swap
    hdb4 - ***EXTENDED PARTITION***
    hdb5 - SUSE 9.2 /
    hdb6 - SUSE 9.2 /home
    hdb7 - Mandrake 10.2 /
    hdb8 - Mandrake 10.2 /home
    hdb9 - Arch 0.7 /
    hdb10 - Arch 0.7 /home

When I installed the Linux distros I chose not to install a boot loader
for any of them (thinking that a bootmanager like GAG would handle
this).  In retrospect, this may have been a conceptual error as GAG
would error with "Boot sector not found or corrupt" for these
partitions.  On the advice of someone on the Fedora User's list, I
booted the Fedora CD in rescue mode and:
# chroot /mnt/sysimage
# /sbin/grub-install /dev/hdb1

When I rebooted with GAG and set it to boot Fedora using hdb1, it now
gives me a 'grub>' prompt.

How can I recover this and get Fedora to boot beyond this?  I'm hoping
luck with this will enable me to do the same for the other Linux
distros.  If there are any other suggestions on this, I'm certainly open
to them as well.

Thanks.