Bowing to M$ (was Re: [ale] comcast static IP?)

James Baldwin jbaldwin at antinode.net
Thu Jan 27 10:46:09 EST 2005

On 27 Jan 2005, at 07:52, Preston Boyington wrote:

> I insist on interoperability, which is why I push for companies to use
> open standards.  How company's achieve the open standard is what
> should be a deciding factor in using that company's software.

I agree that open standards encourage interoperability more than
proprietary ones. Applications which take advantage of open standards
and offer and equal or greater amount of usability would be a far
better weapon to combat proprietary standards. The technical
sophistication with which many open projects are written cannot be
questioned, but the usability of those systems is often lacking in
comparison to their proprietary brethren. Aqua is an excellent example.

> If Microsoft has a more intuitive way of creating a text document with
> formatting then that's wonderful, but they shouldn't have the right to
> trap a user in using their operating system/office suite because of a
> text document with formatting.

Why not? That's like suggesting an MP3 player shouldn't have the right
to trap a user into using MP3. The retort for this is simple: Use an
alternative. The iPod traps me into using a very small subset of audio
formats and I make that sacrifice because the "intuitive way" of
accessing my music is more important to me than the issue of being
trapped into that subset of formats.

If it is a question of extensibility, I believe this discussion will
boil down into "open source good, closed source bad" and I don't think
that will be very productive.

Users have the choice of using that format or not using that format
(Users in this sense can mean a single user, a company, or another
organizational unit). Vendor lock in happens all across the board and
it has never been questioned as both a successful tactic to retain
consumer base and a horrible misuse of consumer tendencies.

I think it is important to note that while Microsoft has done many
things it should be called to question for, software bundling is not
one of them. And that is what I believe we are discussing: alternate
software vendors are upset that Microsoft can bundle their own
applications with their operating system and create a barrier for
entry, in the form of effort required by the user to acquire the
alternative. Microsoft should be called to question, and has been, for
unfair trade practices including the strong arming of OEM vendors by
requiring them to bundle Microsoft and Microsoft approved software only
with their distributions.

The distinction is important as it can influence open software projects
as well, for instance the ubiquitousness of Apache already makes it
difficult to find distributions which provide more than it as the only
choice of an http server. Do we yell and scream about Apache lock in?
No, because we all have the ability to acquire an alternative. The same
exists for alternative text editors on a Microsoft platform.

> Interoperability is one thing, but it shouldn't be at the cost of
> submitting to an inferior format.

Microsoft is not the company which requires you to use an inferior
format.