Bowing to M$ (was Re: [ale] comcast static IP?)

James Baldwin jbaldwin at antinode.net
Wed Jan 26 18:16:45 EST 2005

On 26 Jan 2005, at 12:20, Preston Boyington wrote:

> Umm, that's Windows Media format as in Microsoft, the Evil Empire. As
> in licensed. As in negotiating a deal with them. As in bowing to
> Microsoft's superior position and reinforcing it.

Some of us want more usability out of an operating environment than
open source can currently provide.

Interoperability is key, and not interacting with Microsoft formats is
a large detriment to usability. Much of this need derives from
Microsoft's position in the market place and its ability to, rightly or
wrongly, leverage its market share to achieve greater market
penetration. Regardless of the one's approval of Microsoft's market
position, many users require interoperability between applications be
it Microsoft's Windows Media or document formats or something more
obscure unrelated to Microsoft.

You may disagree with the ethical merits of how Microsoft achieved its
position but to characterize interoperability between operating
environments with "bowing to Microsoft's superior position and
reinforcing it." is unfair and counterproductive to what many in the
free software movement are working toward. It is naive to think that
World Domination (tm) can be achieved without interoperability at some
level.

On 26 Jan 2005, at 13:00, Raylynn Knight wrote:

> Not necessarily.  The Windows Media Format does not contain any patents
> as far as I'm aware.  So it would be possible (albeit difficult) to
> decode it without a license.

Windows Media requires a license and I would be very, very astounded if
it is not covered by several patents. Licensing information can be
found here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/licensing/default.aspx

---
James Baldwin