[ale] Pyhon syntax

Benjamin Scherrey scherrey at proteus-tech.com
Wed Jan 26 11:32:11 EST 2005

Comments intermixed...

fletch at phydeaux.org wrote:

>    Benjamin> Absolutely - I think python should be the primary
>    Benjamin> introductory language for high level programming and it
>    Benjamin> would serve as an excellent choice for most programming
>    Benjamin> projects a developer is likely to encounter in his
>    Benjamin> carreer. I honestly can't think of a better language to
>    Benjamin> introduce a new programmer to that will actually be
>    Benjamin> useful later on in 'real life'.
>
>Python -- Pascal for the new millennium :)

Yes except no one ever wrote any significant pascal application without
breaking some of the 'Wirthian' rules. That's where python stands out in
that it is as expressive as it is simple. Usually those two attributes
are contrary to each other.

>/me goes back to reading the new edition of _Programming Ruby_ . . .

Ruby is a cool language as well. Not quite as simple to comprehend as
python. I've only avoided doing serious work in it because I haven't
seen where it significantly improves upon python (a little cleaner
perhaps in its functional paradigm model and the parameterized types are
interesting) and it doesn't have near the module support that python has
(probably 2nd only to perl and rapidly catching up). Some of its symbol
choices seem to have been made for the sole purpose of being different
and are counter-intuitive to developers experienced in other languages.
Perhaps this is something that is overcome as quickly as the oddness of
using indentation for flow control in python (about two weeks for me
before it was completely natural). This 'ruby on rails' thing looks
quite interesting though and may cause me to re-evaluate my thinking if
a python equivalent doesn't show up in the near term. I'm curious to
hear what you think ruby's special qualities are since you've likely got
more experience with it than I.

    best regards,

       Ben Scherrey