[ale] help with lib

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Wed Jan 26 10:59:05 EST 2005

On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 09:17:57AM -0500, ringo davis wrote:
> That fixes the curses err, now it complains about libtermcap (which is also
> installed).
[snip]

The ldconfig program maintains a cache of shared object files, aka DLLs.
It looks like your program is trying to link to a static library file,
however, not a shared library.  So, even though ldconfig knows how to
find libtermcap.so, that doesn't help because your program wants to link
with libtermcap.a.  Make sure the link line in your Makefile passes the
library path with the -L option.

For example:

       gcc -o foo foo.o bar.o baz.o -ltermcap -L/usr/lib

The -L option tells gcc to look in the /usr/lib directory for .a files.
This of course assumes that libtermcap.a is in fact in /usr/lib.

HTH,
Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9