[ale] wireless networking

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Jan 25 20:45:53 EST 2005

Barnes, Michael wrote:
> I am new to linux and have just installed SUSE 9.2 pro. I now need to get my
> wireless car working with this distro. Unfortunately, I do not seem to be
> able to get the card to activate in this distro. I am using a Hawking HPWG54
> card.
>
> Could someone help me get this working? Thanks

You've got to be careful when selecting a g wifi cards for Linux.  Many
are not supported, or require wrappers.

run lspci and see if it detects the card.  If you don't understand the
output, post it here and we'll see what we can figure out.

Are you sure it's not the hwp54g card?  I can't find any reference to an
hpwg54.

Checking out google, you might be in luck.  There is a version of the
hwp54g that uses the prism54 chipset.  Look to http://www.prism54.org/
for info there.  I don't see a reference to it there myself though. :(

Here's the google link I pulled up as a tinyurl: http://tinyurl.com/4w64n

Thing is, if it was a prism chipset, I would have expected Suse to have
properly configured it or at least recognized it.

I did get a good number of hits on google, you might give that a spin as
well.  If you can determine what the chipset is, that will help folks in
attempts to help you.

There's also a thread on this card at linuxquestions:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=278415&highlight=HWP54G

Here's the tinyurl for the same link: http://tinyurl.com/4shpr

See if you can determine the chipset and post more info.  Also check the
above thread.
--
Until later, Geoffrey