[ale] Sendmail latency

Ryan Fish FishR at bellsouth.net
Tue Jan 25 10:00:18 EST 2005

> On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 09:11 -0500, Ryan Fish wrote:
> > - All boxes have some combination of the following in /etc/resolv.conf.
All
> > of them contain the first three and at least one of the NS provided by
the
> > ISP:
> >
> > search clientdomain.com
> > nameserver 192.168.3.222
> > nameserver 192.168.3.220
> > nameserver 192.168.3.219
> > nameserver 66.179.XXX.XXX  - ISP nameserver
> > nameserver 66.179.XXX.XXX  - ISP nameserver
> > nameserver 66.179.XX.XXX  - NS provided by data center used by client
> > nameserver 66.179.XX.XXX  - NS provided by data center used by client
> > nameserver 216.183.XXX.XXX  - NS provided by data center used by client
> > namserver 192.168.1.10
>
> I am 99% convinvced that what you need is a local caching name server on
> the mailserver.  Add it, then put 127.0.0.1 as your first nameserver
> in /etc/resolv.conf.

- Is there any way to see if such a thing is already in place yet just not
"on"?  Also, named.conf is used on the mail server and holds dns information
for all of the domains hosted by this client.  Therefore, I still do not
feel good about renaming it and starting over with something new...

Another observation/question...  It appears as though sendmail is only
accepting a single connection as I never see more than one instance of it
running at any one time.  I have worded, to a lesser degree, with mail
servers using sendmail in the past and am accustomed to seeing multiple
copies of sendmail listed when I do a "top" or "ps ax|grep mail".  Sendmail
should accept multiple connections by default so what, if anything, would
keep it from doing so in 8.12.11-4?

The Java app in use is multi-threaded and therefore, uses at least 5
single-threaded agents at one time to send msgs to the mail server for
sendmail to handle.  However, at this time, only one of those agents is
allowed to be active at one time...