[ale] This list is flooding with messages

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 12:23:42 EST 2005

Ben,

I'm familiar with the "professional" lists you talk about.

They have there place, but I don't think it is what ALE is trying to
accomplish with this list.

Instead, I believe this list is an effort to build a community of
Linux users.  Fortunately this community has some very smart people
with lots of experience, but again the goal seems to be to build the
community.

I think you would be better served asking about e-mail clients that
more efficiently handle threaded discussions.

ie., does your e-mail client support e-mail threading?

For instance, the recent thread about comcast and static IPs.  I have
not read, but it is only showing up on my e-mail client as one line
entry with 41 sub-messages.  I can delete all 41 messages with a
single "move to trash" command.

"		Jim .. Christopher (41)	 	 [ale] comcast static IP?  - There is one
specific advantage to using the "middle man" for tech support; his
direct ?"

The above is using gmail and its online GUI.

FYI: a couple gmail short-comings in my book:

1) Once a thread is deleted, future messages on the same thread are
not automatically deleted.

2) By default, replies have the previous sender's e-mail address in
them (I try to manually delete them, but it is easy to forget.)

3) "Move to trash" is not a simple to use button, but instead resides
on a pull-down.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer