[ale] Upgrade hell

Cor van Dijk cor.angela at mindspring.com
Wed Jan 19 14:55:50 EST 2005

Geoffrey wrote:

> James Taylor wrote:
>
>> I downloaded the DVD from SuSE a couple of days ago, and installed it on
>> an AMD64 machine yesterday.  There's way too much of what I use missing
>> from the download DVD.
>> I went ahead and installed it anyway because I loaned my retail DVD out
>> and haven't gotten it back yet.  The CDs don't include the 64-bit kernel
>> as an option...
>

> Maybe that's the difference between the two?  Seems the retail boxed
> version is about twice the size of the download.

Greetings,

Thanks to all who responded to my problem.

1. The card in the laptop is a generic Trident Cyberblade
2. The system only hangs when in an X GUI, this points to a software problem
     rather than a chipset probem
3. Upgrading is the most obvious solution, though it is not guaranteed
to work;
       it is also the easy way out. Remember what the "e" in "ale"
stands for, we
       tackle problems don't we?
4. Talking about paying "through the nose", my dialup is half the price
of a DSL.
    Downloading 7 GB over a dialup connection?
    That difference easily pays for a boxed set once a  year.
5. I am going to try my Suse 8.2 now, in tiny lettering on the box it
says that it
    will work on a laptop, not sure about usb support, but will probably
find out.
6. I do appreciate all comments, keep up the good work!

Cor van Dijk