[ale] "easy to use" database

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Wed Jan 19 14:31:37 EST 2005

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 11:48:25AM -0600, Preston Boyington wrote:
> Here's what I "think" I need:
>
> 1) A relatively easy to use database with (if possible) a web interface
> so I can setup personal accounts.
>
> 2) I want it to ledger monthly payments
>
> 3) I would like it to have some type of search/report feature so I can
> pull specific items of information from the personal accounts. (ie. all
> birthdays in March, last payments made, if an account is overdue, etc)
>
> 4) A "notes" feature so I can input information that doesn't neatly fit
> into my designated fields.
>
> 5) Some type of budgeting features so I can make projections, log
> monthly expenditures, deposits, etc.
>
> 6) Expandable so I can add the stuff I forget during the initial layout
> (adding fields, etc)

These requirements describe an accounting or reporting application, not
a database.  A database like PostgreSQL only stores and retrieves the
raw data.  You will need a front-end application to do the reporting,
queries, data entry, etc.  Maybe SQL-Ledger will fit the bill?
http://www.sql-ledger.org/

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9