[ale] Upgrade hell

Cor van Dijk cor.angela at mindspring.com
Tue Jan 18 22:46:10 EST 2005

Geoffrey wrote:

> Cor van Dijk wrote:
>
>> I then tried a complete reinstall of RH 7.2, reformatting all
>> partitions and checking for bad blocks, but with the same result: hangs!
>> I ran a memtest for several hours: zero errors. No interrupt
>> conflicts that I can see.
>

> I'd first go with a newer version.  I've installed SuSE 9.2 on all
> kinds of hardware.  The main hangup is enough memory.  I've got a
> pentium 166 laptop with Suse 9.2 (128mb memory).

Hey, my RH Enterprise 3.3 is from Oct 2003!
I have Suse 8.2, it is from 2003, but its documentation barely mentions usb,
and says nothing at all about being suitable for a laptop. I hate to sit
there
for an hour or so repartitioning and what not and then be told no go.

But thanks for the tip about Suse 9.2 ( MicroCenter or Fry?)
I may try that.
Cor

Answer to Dow Hurst: yes, it is a Sony Viao PCG-F630, thanks.