[ale] The "ls" command

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Jan 17 18:06:02 EST 2005

Jerald Sheets wrote:
> Ah.
>
> I've called that "sticky" for almost 15 years.

Sticky bit basically says you can't remove a file from that directory
unless you own it.

For example, under /tmp which has the following perms:

drwxrwxrwt   12 root     root         4096 Jan 17 17:45 /tmp

there is the following file:

-rwxrwxrwx    1 root     root        98761 Jan 12 10:47 datetime.c

Note the permissions.  Now I try to remove it as a normal user:

rhws/tmp> rm datetime.c
rm: cannot remove `datetime.c': Operation not permitted

But, I can edit the file if the permissions indicate as such.

--
Until later, Geoffrey