[ale] When to upgrade?

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 11:52:13 EST 2005

SUSE provides security patches for 2 years on its "enthusiast" line.
(8.1, 8.2, 9.0, 9.1)

5 years on the Enterprise line. (SLES 8, SLES 9)

SuSE is releasing its final set of 8.1 security fixes right now.  So
if anyone is still running it, they should consider upgrading soon.

9.0 is only a little over a year old, so you have another year before
they quit providing security patches.  SInce 9.0 is the last of the
2.4.x kernels from SUSE, I would not be surprised if they support it
even beyond the 2 year point.

FYI: SuSE has a security announcement mailing list that is extremely
low volume.  It is worth subscribing to if you want to know when
distros are going out of support.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer