[ale] OT -> Need help troubleshooting qmail

Nathan J. Underwood ale1 at cybertechcafe.net
Sat Jan 15 16:21:00 EST 2005

Over the past 3 days, I've started getting a TON of 'failure notices'
that report to have been originally destined for domains that I host.
The server that these domains have in common is a RH9 machine running
the 'Plesk' version of qmail
(psa-qmail-rblsmtpd-0.70-rh9.build71041118.17 and
psa-qmail-1.03-rh9.build71041124.11).  The messages that I'm receiving
are 'bounced bounces', and I'm really not sure where to start.  I've
captured 218 of them, but can't see any real similarities between them
(source IP, originating address [most look like generated addresses]).
All of the original messages appear to be SPAM.  I've verified that my
server isn't relaying (telnet to the SMTP port, try to send mail to an
outside domain from an outside domain, and that doesn't work [doesn't
relay]).  I've enclosed a copy of one of the messages below.  Anyone got
any ideas on 1) what could be causing this, or 2) what I may be able to
do to stop it?

--== Message ==--

mailto:mallory at gocubs.org
Hi. This is the qmail-send program at <my server>.
I tried to deliver a bounce message to this address, but the bounce bounced!

<mallory at gocubs.org>:
216.200.145.51 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 554 Recipient Rejected: Not accepting mail for this
account : Account Inactive
Giving up on 216.200.145.51.

--- Below this line is the original bounce.