[ale] SUSE 9.2 Pro free from Novell

Greg runman at speedfactory.net
Fri Jan 14 23:51:01 EST 2005

Well, the motivations can include :

	1. The GPL stipulates that they have to make any improvements available
anyway.
	2. They are fighting MS, RH, Fedora, Sun, HP, IBM, and others for market
share.  Giving stuff away for free can help (remember MS Internet Explorer
?)
	3. Corporations and first time users will buy the boxed set (which normally
includes 2 manuals that are pretty comprehensive and really helpful).
	4. The folks who won't buy the boxed sets will get it from other places
anyway (CheapBytes, bit torrents, etc...)
	5. Folks who use it at home will want to use it at work.
	6. You keep ticking your customer base off and they will leave and never
come back - as either a personal user or in the workplace (like RH probably
did to many).
	7. Those who believe in supporting Open Source companies will buy the boxed
set regardless.
	8. I think the boxed set comes with some support for a limited period while
other sources don't include this.  This is important to many folks - See #
3.
	9. You catch more customers / supporters with honey than vinegar - this
kinda ties in with #2.
	10. To make up for no Personal version (just joking).

	That's all I can think of at the moment.

	Greg