[ale] Re: Online Backup

gchendry at bellsouth.net gchendry at bellsouth.net
Thu Jan 13 11:43:51 EST 2005

I have been using partimage, works well.
Note:
Partimage images 1 partition at a time, not an entire hard drive.
Will work with NTFS as long as the partition is not very fragmented.
Will not image a mounted partition.

Depending on how you partitioned your hard drive and what applications are running where will depend if you can keep your system up and running while using partimage.

Good Uses:
When installing the same os (LINUX or MS :( ) on multiple similar machines, I install it once, use partimage to create an image and then restore that image to the other machines.  Note must copy the boot sector via dd if=/dev/??? of=outfile count=512