[ale] mutiple e-mail address management - kmail

Jim Philips jimmyc at speedfactory.net
Thu Jan 13 06:07:58 EST 2005

On Thursday 13 January 2005 01:57 am, Jay Loden wrote:
> Ok, I use kmail, and I have the following problem.  I use multiple e-mail
> addresses (This one, my school one, and a python-specific email address,
> etc).  That's fine in the sense that kmail can read all of them as separate
> accounts.
>
> However, when I post to a list, for example, I run into a problem.  for ALE
> I am subscribed as 'jloden at toughguy.net' but for the python list, I am
> subscribed as 'python at jayloden.com'
>
> When I compose/reply to an e-mail, it sends it from "jloden at
> toughguy.net" or whatever my current Profile is set to as the email
> address.
>
> Does anyone know how I can get around this without having to retype my from
> address every time I message to a different mailing list?  I was even
> thinking of making a menu for kmail that would let me start kmail with
> different profiles, but that's an ugly solution, and I can't seem to find
> anything that lets kmail do that.

Just go to the configs for Kmail and see the Identities section. From there,
add a new identity based on your second e-mail address. Then when you go to
send an e-mail, you'll be able to select the identity that e-mail is "from".
I used to do this to keep personal and work e-mails separate.

> If you all have no other suggestions, I'll take recommendations for mail
> clients that handle multiple addresses and mailing lists well.
>
> While I'm at it, is there a way to set up kmail with threading for mailing
> lists ?

In my version of Kmail, you just go to the Folders pulldown menu and select
Thread Messages. I'm on KDE 3.4. I don't know when this feature was
introduced, but I think it's not new.